Cultural Resources Element Update
The Colton Cultural Resources Element of the City’s General Plan was adopted on September 5, 2000, and is in need of a comprehensive update. The primary focus of this Element is on the preservation and treatment of the City’s archaeological and historical resources. The City’s Historic Preservation Ordinance, originally adopted in 1999 with subsequent minor amendments, also needs a comprehensive update.
The City has been updating its 1986 General Plan incrementally, with updates to the Land Use and Mobility (Circulation) Elements approved in 2013, Safety Element in 2018, and Housing Element (currently in process). The Cultural Resources Element is a priority for the next scheduled update and is included in the FY2021-22 budget for consultant services and is included in the Development Services Department’s work program.
At present, there are 54 local landmarks in the City of Colton and six historic districts. The most recent local landmark, number 54, dates back to circa 1875 – Peter’s Home.
Learn about California State San Bernardino's South Colton study as another example of Colton's rich history in places and people between 1890-1960. See additional link for slide show presentation and more:
Special Collections & University Archives, South Colton Oral History Project
All interested persons are invited to participate in the meeting and submit oral or written comments.
We need your input!
Please join us on the following dates for an interactive, informative Community Workshops:
- Planning Commission Meeting - Tuesday, February 14, 2023, from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm at the City Council Chambers located at 650 N. La Cadena Drive, Colton, CA 92324 (Flyer for Meeting - English / Spanish)
Past Meeting Flyers:
- General Community Meeting - Wednesday, December 7, 2022, from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm at the Hutton Center located at 660 Colton Avenue, Colton, CA 92324 (Flyer for Meeting - English / Spanish),
PAST MEETING AGENDA, SUMMARY NOTES AND PICTURES:
December 7, 2022, Community Meeting Agenda, PowerPoint and Summary of Meeting:
Agenda - December 7, 2022, Community Meeting
- PowerPoint -Community Meeting
- Planning Staff - Meeting Summary
- Pictures - Education, Discussion, Questions, Participation/Input